Monday, August 23, 2010

First impressions from Ethiopia – 24.08.2010

Last week Monday it was time to board the plane in Frankfurt and fly straight down to Ethiopia. Already on the plane I had the chance to meet a bunch of interesting people. Lots or Ethiopians that live in Germany, NGO workers from Europe and some tourists…

In Addis Abeba I was supposed to be picked up by a driver from the Adama university, well he didn´t show up and so I stayed in a hotel close to the airport.

Tuesday then I had the chance to meet another German student that was working on one of the solar projects which I´ll continue. While she did her last shopping in Addis we still had time for coffee and lunch and exchange valuable informations about the daily live here.

My first days at the Adama university were full with meeting all kinds of people and also slowly start working in the Further Training Institute which is run by a few German Engineers. The few hours after work before it got darl I mostly used to explore Adama, esspecially the “Franco area” which could be considered as the city centre with most of the markets.

My first week flew by so quick and soon it was weekend, I used it for one day in Addis Abeba to catch up with Elizabeth, somebody from the states which I knew from her voluntary service in Germany. Always funny how small this world is and where I am able to meet friends again.

CIMG0020 CIMG0021 CIMG0022 CIMG0025 CIMG0028

Sunday then was a “work” day for me. Time to see one of my projects…this was is with small solar systems which basicaly use a solar panel, battery and a LED lamp to provide people in rural villages some light in the evenings. I went there with 3 other students from the university, 2 of them have been working on this project for some time already. People there in that village were really friendly, communication worked because of the ethiopian students quite well and so soon we had to sit down in their little houses, eat enjera and drink their home brewed beer and liquor made from corn.

CIMG0032 CIMG0034 CIMG0037 CIMG0040 CIMG0042 CIMG0046

So far it´s the people here that made this country so special to me, wherever I go here in Adama, kids start walking with me, try to talk a little bit or just a quick “hello, how are you?”. Even older people make the effort to speak with me a little bit on the streets. I´m sure there are still lots of good things waiting out there on the streets of Ethiopia…so stay tuned!

cheers

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you manny for sharing your day there. loved hearing you talk. such a comfort! Injera!!! take it all! coming! Leddet ~ Lan

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home