Friday, September 10, 2010

Settling down – Ethiopia 2010/11

First of all መልካም አዲስ አመት (Melkam Addis Amet) - Happy New Year to all of you out there! Now Ethiopia arrived in the year 2003…

2 weeks ago I managed to move into a little house, renting this place is still a better deal than the guesthouse where I was staying in and so I have some more privacy and space to live in. Bying the household items was the bigger challenge…never thought I would miss the big SUPER-markets where you can do your one stop shopping…on the other side the bargaining here can be also a lot of fun!

So here just a few pictures from the last 3 weeks…

CIMG0047

Saturday morning coffee in Debre Zeit with my professor. The lake is a old volcanic crater.

CIMG0049 CIMG0052

This little coffee place is on the way to the university. Most mornings I stop here for breakfast…CIMG0054

CIMG0060 CIMG0063 CIMG0079

Sodere Hot Springs, swimmer poolCIMG0080

nonswimmer pool

 CIMG0081

on the right Dr. Aminu, one of the professors from the university in AdamaCIMG0082

CIMG0093

(safe) window from my new home

CIMG0096

photo studio from my neighbour and friend Ato

CIMG0098 

neighbourhoodCIMG0100 cobbled stone street, built with support from the German government

CIMG0103

عيد الأضحى مبارك (Happy Eid ul-Adha) – End of the Ramadan season, in the background you can see muslims walking back home after they had a big prayer meeting in the downtown area of Adama.CIMG0104

We instead went to the goat market to get some fresh meat…for the New Years eve celebration on the same evening.CIMG0106 CIMG0109 CIMG0111

Our little goat…

CIMG0112 

…the butcher getting ready…

CIMG0114 

…R.I.P….

CIMG0123 

taking the fur off and processing the meat.

CIMG0125 CIMG0132 CIMG0133

መልካም አዲስ አመት (Melkam Addis Amet) - Happy New Ethiopian Year 2003

1 Comments:

Blogger Efrutik said...

Melkam Addis Amet ! I just found your blog through CS and glad that I did. I was born in ET and lived in Moscow after that for my entire childhood. 10 years ago I moved to U.S. and have not been to ET for the past 17 years of my life. This summer it should all change.......

Glad to find your blog and I really like your appreciation of Ethiopian culture. It was humbling to see the picture of the "little coffee shop" to say the least.


Here is my blog: http://efrutik.blogspot.com

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home