Monday, September 03, 2007

USA-Mexico-Canada Tour 2007 - August 12th-23rd

Now I finally have some time to update my blog...my fourth week on the road started yesterday and it had been an amazing time for me to live on the beach, youth hostels, buses and at my friends places.
Here is just a little summary of the places that I've been to in the last 3 weeks


I started on August 12th in Vancouver, BC

in Seattle, WA, USA I had to transfer to another bus

the same thing in Portland, OR. I took a small shuttle bus from here to Newport, OR which is a small town right on the Oregon coast

I arrived in Newport, OR at around 1:30...it was cold, everything was closed and the people on the bus didn't know a good beach where I could sleep for a night...so I just walked towards the water in the middle of the night...climbed over huge sand dunes untill I could see the water in the moonlight...yeah and I also found a cool place to sleep as I found out at sunrise the next morning...

August 13th, today I found a nice Hotel that had dormitory rooms for a cheap price. So I checked in, had a shower and then went out to explore Newport, OR and the endless beach

August 14th, my last day in Newport, OR. I went down to the old harbour and had some seafood at the pier and then in the late afternoon I took the bus to Corvallis, OR from where I took the Greyhound bus down to Fresno, CA

August 15th, I arrived in Fresno, CA at 12:15pm and after 20 hours on the bus I was in a surprisingly good mood. Maybe the hot weather and the Palm trees all over the city woke me up... Here I stayed at a family friend's place. Fresno, CA is located in the middle of a dessert and sourounded by mountains...so you can imagine how hot it is...on the day I arrived there we had around 40 degrees, it was quite an experience after maybe 20 degrees on the Oregon coast.

August 16th, my friend Rod took me to the Yosemite National Park which is about 2 hours east from Fresno, CA. There we spent all day exploring the park.

August 17th, in the morning I went to downtown and spent some time in the heat, the afternoon Rod took me on a ride to the Kings Canyon National Park. There I saw the biggest tree in the world, the "General Grant" Tree, by volume it's the biggest known tree in the world.

August 18th, after 4 hours on the bus I arrived in Pasadena, CA (part of Los Angeles). My friend Rebeka picked me up from the Greyhound station and after a short break at her place we drove donw to Huntington beach. There we met some other friends of her and we rented some kayaks and paddled along some canals and huge villas. Later we hung out on Sunset Beach. Here in the picture you can see Rebeka, Corinna and me.

August 19th, today again sunshine and really hot...somehow the heat follows me. I spent my afternoon in Pasadena oldtown and later I took the public transit to get to the LAX airport to pick up my friend Eunji that joined me on my tour for the next 2 weeks. Somehow she was able to squeeze out some money and time to come over here from South Korea...

August 20th, today Downtown LA was on our plan and in the evening we went for a night on the bus to ge to El Paso, TX


August 21st, 11:25am we arrived in El Paso, TX. El Paso is a border town, which means we had to expect a interesting experience...and we did experience some interesting things. After we checked in at our hostel we headed out to cross the boarder into Mexico by foot. Going into Mexico we didn't get checked at all, we only had to pay 35 cents "toll" to cross the border. Once we crossed the border we were in Juarez and in middle of a crazy scene...it seemed like everybody wanted some money from us, people were really poor, old broken houses, crazy traffic on the street, old buses and just really busy all over the streets. Going back into the USA was a bigger deal...but we made it back to El Paso, TX

August 22nd, Eunji and I took at 6am a Mexican bus down to Chihuahua, Mexico. I was the only "caucasion" person on the bus...haha and it helped that I traveled with a Asian girl...so not surprisingly at all peope stared at us. Esspecially in Chihuahua which is about 5 hours south of the border everybody looked at us when we passed them. But people were really friendly down there and didn't beg us for Pesos (mexican money). So we really had the chance to get to know the Mexican way of life in a very authentic city that only sees about 20 tourists per day.

August 23rd, Hiking up a small pilgrim mountain, eating Mexican food and watching a Cowboy parade was on our list for today, ohja and we went out for some mexican beer in the evening.




More Pictures of my trip: http://picasaweb.google.com/manueldanner/USAMexicoCanadaTour2007

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics Manuel! Looks like you're having lots of fun down there.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow... finally there is something here. It seems u have had a good time! I stayed at a friend's place in Pasadena for one night too when i went to LA.

I plan to go to the US again next year. I really hope to travel to Central America like Honduras, Nicaragua and Guatemala but the visa problem is big. Guate said i have to apply an pick up my visa in person and the closest embassy is in Taiwan :) So i dunno..

Anyways, nice to see ur cool pics!

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heeey tourist (-;
schisch, wow, jeiks...your pics are fantastic...good show
mail me when you are back in van
take care buddy

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home